Monday, May 11, 2015

Urban Kayak Camping

Done something I always want to do, combining kayaking and camping.  My two favorities outdoor activites.

Steve H, one of Sebago member come up with the idea of kayaking to Staten Island, camp overnight and kayak back on Sunday.   One of his friend who also kayak is a park ranger at the back in Staten Island and they want to do some promotional for the camping facilities in the park.  I have see the park everytime I drive over the Varrazono Bridge, and even been inside when I ran the marathon but don't know that there is a camping ground in the fort.   

I wasn't sure that I would be able to make the kayak on Friday night but I packed up everything I need and drive to Sebago clubhouse.   Luckily I check my email in the morning because instead of 10AM launch time, the launch time was moved to 9 AM.   I get there a 8 AM, and take all of the 1 hour to pack all my camping equitp in my Tahe Marine, a very small boat with little cargo room.   I was surprice I still have room left when I crampted the last item in the boat.  We launched at 9 AM.  There were 19 kayakers in all.   The paddle was very relaxing from the clubhouse till Marine Memorial Bridge.   Most of the kayaker get out on the beach before the bridge, I did not get out.   We  continue from there to Coney Island.  We get around Coney Island by 1 PM.   We land at a little beach after Seagate for lunch.   The beach is right across from my apartment where I live for 15 year and never know about.  I heard there a boat launch there.  I have to launch from there next time.  We have lunch and wait till the tide turn.  Unfortunately while we wait the winds pick up and started to whip up the waves a bit.  We started out after lunch to cross the Narrow right before the Varazono bridge.  There was a bit of large boats traffics so  getting across was tricky.  Luckily we have a couple of kayakers with experience with paddle the Hudson.  The cross was the trickiest part of the day paddle.   It was challenging even for me.  Take us a good 1hour to make the 2 mile crossing.  We have a welcome committees waiting for us and direct us in through the 1 foot surf.  We all make it without anyone capsizing.  

Tod and his daughter Pearl is there.  I was not expecting her to be there. I love spending time with Pearl.   Todd is also fun to hang out with.  

The last part of the kayak complete drain my energy.  Unfortunately we have to carry our boats 1000 feets off the beach, and up a hill.  I carrry my boat with the help of another kayaker up to the camping area, and come back down to help carrie on other boat up and I was done.  We were all off the beach by 5PM.  

The camping area is very spacious.  I pick an area with a good fire pit and relative closed to Tod and Pearl.   It take me less then 15 minutes to set up my tent.  The tent area have real restroom and a hot shower.  By the time I get to the show there is no more hot water, at least I have fresh water to clean up.   I spend time hanging out witth Pearl.  She  is a very playful little girl.   

No comments: