Monday, July 16, 2012

To Smell the Sea Again

It have been a while since I paddled in Jamaica Bay just for fun.  Since I spend so much time up at the lake in the Summer, I usually only go out on Jamaica bay when I committed to neither leading a open paddle or teaching.  This weekend in the city was unplanned.

I did not planned on kayak on I get up on Sunday morning.  I have no plan at all other the to exchanged the CO2 bottle for my Sodastream machine.  I did not even have my paddling clothing when I left the house, but half way down the stair I decided it is a sin to be in the city on a hot day and not go kayaking and return to my apartment for a pair of swimming short and a towel. 

Derrick one the the guys I mentors kayaking in last winter pool session as there getting ready to go out so I asked him if I can tag along.    He have no plan in particular  so we just free style it.   We get on the water by 11 AM, and decide on going around Canarsie Pol instead of a longer paddle.  I am all for that, I haven't have breakfast and don't want too late for lunch.  There is also the threat of thunderstorm that weight on the decision to have a short paddle.   

It was a joy to paddle with Derrick.    We only stop once on the paddle, Derrick need to check his cellphone for a call and I need a drink of water.   Since it was almost mean low tide when we left, it was iffy if we can paddle around the north side of Canarsie Pol without going around a large marsh on that side of the Island.  I paddled in first to check for dept.   I have about 5 to 6 inches worth of water and I barely manage to scrap through to deeper water. I was surprise that Derrick with his 6'5" frame and a good 200 pounds also make it through.  

Arrive back at the bridge into our basin by 12:10, almost an hour after we left.  It was a good paddle.


No comments: