Friday, July 27, 2012

15 Lb X 17miles

This Friday I finally make good on my plan to run from my office to my apartment in Brooklyn.   It was the most miserable long run I have ever run.  Even at the start of the run, my first 2-3 miles was miserable.  I can place why it was so hard. It could be the humidity, the temperature (88 Degree) or the fact that I am carrying a backpack. I have done 7 miles with backpack before so I can't attributed the problem I have.  The backpack weight 15 lb - I weight it after the run so lot of it can be from the sweat. 

Overview of route
The run from my office to 38th Street entrance to the West side bicycle path include stop light and crowd trying to get home.  I wasn't planning on  a set pace so it was not that big a deal.  When I get on the West Side bicycle path, I maintain decent long run pace.  By the time I get to the 6th Street Track I was ready to quit. But I keep going by breaking it into parts.  













Finding entrance to Brooklyn Bridge
 Part 1 - Get to Brooklyn Bridge
Unfortunate getting on the Bridge is easier say then done because getting on the bridge meant running through Chinatown. These were some very slow running.    Surprising I don't get lost.

Part 2 after getting  going from the Brooklyn Bridge to Atlantic Avenue.

Part 3 is to get from Atlantic Avenue to 36 Street where I can get my train if I need to quit.




Part 4 is to get from 36th Street to my sister place on 77th Street.
Stop by sister for restroom break.
Part 5 is getting from my sister's to Shoreview Drive and down toward home.
The pace - Walked the last 1 miles
 
Timing and Elevation
Heart rate and Cadence

The extra 15 lb backpack really do a numbers on me. I thought I drink enough water but apparently not as much water as I lost due to sweating.   I was very tire by the 16 miles and call it quit one mile before my apartment and slow down to a walk the rest of the way.  I get home and take a cold shower.  I don't know if it is a good idea to take a cold shower right after a hot humid run.  The shock can't be good for the body.  I sleep early.   Take a dump on Saturday morning before my drive up to ACA camp.  I stomach was feeling weird but nothing to be concern about. By the after noon I feel bloated, along with periodical stomach pain. By Saturday night I heave the severe need to go to the restroom but was unable to get a bowel movement. I seat in the bathroom for a good 30 minutes, nothing so went back to bed.  I don't have any sleep on Saturday between the need painful cramps, bloating and the need to go the the restroom every 1 hours are so.  This continue all through Sunday and to today.   I may have to see my doctor if this continue for another day.  I can't even think of taking in food.  Still no bowel movement.   My hiking friend told me my problem could be because of ions imbalances.  I did not take any sport drink during my long run only water.  

Next time I need to bring along sport drink, and fuel for my long run and leave the backpack.  

No comments: