Posted on 06/28 Backdate to event date.
I forget how chaotic it is at an public open paddle. The last open paddle I lead was the beginning of last summer, and on that one there were only one or two off the street public guests. I forget how much confusion there is when trying to get more then 15 never been on the water people on the water. I did not have control of the situation from the get go. Dot and Walter was there so I have to compete with their leadership of the group. I get so confuse that I forget to get everyone set up in the boat, adjust foot braces, get them fitted in their kayaks etc. So most of the people are new no one complain until we started to launch. After a couple of minutes of confusion we get everything sorted out and one our way. The usually larcenies of new paddlers complains on the paddle but no one capsized. I have everyone gather up and rested a couple of time on the paddle. It is frustrating for those who learn faster and want to go further but I want everyone together. I teach the more able paddlers refine strokes techniques while we wait for the slower paddlers to catch up and rest. Elly my assistant for the trip was very helpful in keeping the slow paddlers from falling too far behind.
I turned us back a bit earlier then I could have just to give everyone enough time to leisurely paddle back to the dock before 12PM. We end up getting back a bit before noon. The kayaks were all washed and return to their storage racks, and other equipment hang out to dry before in short order. Now I have 2 hours to wait the Quickstart class I am teaching at 2PM.
After eating my lunch of take out Jamaican Ox tail stew I take the time to talk to Walter. Walter is our Sea Kayak Chair and the wizard of Kayak Quickstart class. He and Tony must have teach dozen of Quickstart classes last summer. We discuss what the class material, material to cover and the timing of each part of the class. I have a general idea of what I want to cover and how much time is need for each but finding a nature progression from one subject or skills to another. Since this is a Quickstart class, a 3 hours class according to the ACA course description, it is hard to cut back on material to fit in the time. I can teach each of the stroke for an hours but I get least 7 odd skills to introduce. One of that hour is take up by on land lecture.
I hate on land lecture. I am the worst at speaking to a group of people. Luckily for me there were only 3 students so I can forgo a formal lecture instead go for discussion format. EG is my assistant for the class. She was great at give me hint as to the subject to be cover, fill in the material I forget to discuss, and lead in new subjects. I started off with kayaks and paddles term and terminology with flash card. I have to learn how to properly us flash card as a teaching aid. We were slightly late in getting onto the water but not by much. Walter and Dotty with two Sebago members that want to be certify to use club's boats and equipment accompany us out on the water but split up to do their things while we stay on the other side of the bridge and go over the basic stroke.
It was very windy when we get on the water. I have to be mindful of where we were paying blow as I demonstrate and as the students practice the skills. We went over the forward sweep strokes and practice it for a bit before going under the bridge and out into the bay. The water is a bit choppy but manageable. I would rate the condition a level 3 class condition, 1/2 to 1 foot wave, 15-20 mph wind. Perfect kayaking condition but not so much for teaching preview of basic kayaking stroke. Our three students were not intimidated by the condition thought. They head into the waves like a pro.
The biggest problem with teaching in Jamaica Bay is trying to speak over the plane flying overhead. I keep on having to stop speaking and wait till the airplane over head pass by.
A couple of more skills were demonstrated and practice on. The class end up being 5 hours instead of the schedule 3 hours but I have blast teaching it, and my three students seem to enjoy learning and playing on the water. I did a rescue demonstration, EG was rescuer and i was the rescuee in a t/x rescue. We paddled back with Walter and his little group. Tony have a small BBQ of burger and hot dogs for us when we get back. I end up only getting hot dog since I was busy making sure everything is square away. I did not leave the club till 6 PM. It as a 8AM to 6PM day at the club. I have not put this kind of time in at the Brooklyn clubhouse in awhile. I should find time to do it more often.
No comments:
Post a Comment