Get an email from Tony on Saturday evening about a short relaxing paddle he want to do on Sunday. Tony is a fun guy and paddle with him are always pleasant, even if unpredictable. We usually did not have a set plan when we set out as to where we are going. I was planning to go out on a paddle on Sunday morning anyway so I jump on the opportunity to paddle. I would never have actually get up at 7AM to go paddling by myself. I did not know how many other people respond to Tony Email so I don't know who is coming or their skills level. Tony did not specify how long the trip is going to be so I did not pack any lunch - I should have know better from previous paddle with Tony.
I get there just as Tony pull up to the clubhouse gate. There were already several car there. I was not expecting so many cars at the club on a Sunday. Turn out a group of Boy Scout camp out on the club's ground and are preparing to go out canoing to practive for an upcoming trip.
We launch at 9AM after the Boy Scouts launched, and went head short east toward Mill Basin. We did not decide at that moment where were were going yet. It was decided as we went down the shore that we should paddle to Floyd Bennett Field. It take must just under one hour to get there. There wasn't much wind so there wasn't any big wave coming off the sea wall. As we were approaching the the seaplane ramp, we saw another paddling in the opposition direction. Tony asked if anyone have a Sebago booklet. I told him mine are all in my car, and paddle pass the newcomer. I pretend I did not see him. Tony, being a more social fella paddle up to the newcomer and introduce himself. I don't know what transpired but the newcomer decided to have a paddle with us.
After resting for a couple of minutes while the group talk with the newcomer - I did not remember his name, Tony told me to lead everyone to a beach before Gil Hodges Bridge. The new guy is a fast paddler so he was in front with me most of the trip. The Washing Machine was off today. We have very good current going out and the wind was light so there is not much wave action. Instead of landing at the beach we decided to continue under the bridge since it was only 11:30 something when we get there. I was feeling good so did not mind just going a bit further. We still do not have a definite turn around destination at this point. Just see how far we can go till we have to get back. At Dead Horse Bay we have a mini conference as to where were want to go. The choices were Gerrison Beach or Sheepshead Bay. I think Sheepshead Bay would be too far. I was not expecting a four hours trip. I suggested Gerrison Bay for lunch since there is good beach there. Lunch - I meant rest because I did not expect us to come back after lunch time I did not bring anything to eat.
There is a lot of boat traffic on Rockaway Inlet when we get there, and most of them boats were running at full speed into Gerrison Beach. We managed to get under the bridge just as a big motor come through. We did not goes far into the Inlet, just at the mouth there were a good beach, and away from the ATV ridding family on the other side. While everyone landed, I stay out and do a couple of rolls. The water was still cold not I need the cool down after 3 hours of paddling in my dry suit.
I joined the rest of the group after my cool down roll. They were seating aways from the boat, on the other side of the sand dune that formed the beach where we can't see out boats which is something I usually want to avoid. Not at all happy with the prospect of coming back and find our boats floating away. Tony offered me some dry fruits so I have a couple of dry banana for lunch.
We make our way back at at 1nish something. The wind was starting to pick up, and the current was still coming out so the paddle back was bit shower. The waves are more interesting at the Washing Machine our morning trip through it. We are get around Floyd Bennett Field without any problem. We landed at the second Seaplane ramps to say good by to our guest. I wandered off to find the facility. It was all the way across from the old air field - now parking lot. It is a open pit design so it was not something I would have normally use, but since I walk a good 10 minutes to find it I might as well use it. I held me breath as long as I can.
I came back just in time to say good bye our new friend.
We get a bit of wind and wave by the time we get back to the club. Everyone was asking if we see the Boy Scout canoeists on the way back. I looked out for the canoes that went out in the morning before us, I assumed that they came back when I did not see on our way back. I did not know how long their trip was plan for but I did no expect anything longer then our trip. It was 2:45 when we get back so it had been 7 hours since they left the dock. That is a very long canoe trip. Everyone was worry if the kids can handle the canoe in the strengthening wind. Jim and Andy tried a couple of time to raise them on the marine radio but not luck (we learned later that they take a club radio - which did not work).
Holly come back in the Sunfish to tell us that she talk the Boy Scouts group and tell us where they are. It was suggested that someone paddle out and escorted them into the inlet. My boat and equipments was already washed so I wasn't thinking of going out again but after thinking it over I decided to goes out to see where they are. I wasn't going to be able to drive home anyway till they come back so I might as well be doing something.
Jim was getting the safety boat prep but was not sure about launching because there was much gas in the tank. When I get to the bridge two canoes were coming in so I radioed back to Jimmy that the canoeists arrived at the inlet so he don't have to risk taking the safety canoe out. Jim wanted to launch any just in case it was need. I paddle out to the bay and see the four remaining canoes and a kayaker spread out a bit but doing fine. I radioed in. I meet up with the kayaker and we paddle back to the bridge. The Boy Scouts paddling the last canoe was having problem keeping it going straight so the going was slow. Jim come out with the safety boat as we get the buoy before the bridge. He was having problem keeping the motor running. He have to start it several time and go very slowly to be able to make it back to the dock. I was paddling faster then him as I follow him just in case I have to tow him home. I would not enjoy that. Fortunately he make it back with just the fume in the engine.
All the canoeist went through the motor boat channel under the bridge. I was not able to get them to go to the side. Oop. I did keep a watchful eye out for boat as they went under the bridge so there weren't any real danger. I radioed a general warning just in case. Everyone get home ok so all is well that end well.
No comments:
Post a Comment