Friday, June 06, 2008

Orchard Beach

Somehow or other the subject of paddling on Monday come up during our sunday paddle. I learned that Tony, JohnW and Walter is planning a Monday paddle up at Orchard Beach. Since I don't have anything better to do on Monday I asked them if I can tag alone. The only problem I see is getting my dry suit dry over night.

I arrived at the club at 7:30AM. I was hoping that John come early also so we can start out early for Tony house where we are meeting Tony and Walter. The plan was to meet up at Tony's at 9AM so John and I plan to be at the club at 8:30 to pick up our boats. Probably cut the timing a bit tight. I get there early just in case John come early and we can start heading out before 8:30. John come at 8AM and we get everything ready by 8:30. The drive up to Tony did take longer due to traffic on the Van Wyck. It turned out Walter was late getting to Tony also so we did not feel bad about being late. We get there at about 9:15AM. Spend a couple of minutes talking to Walter, planning our trip up to Orchard Beach. Walter forget to closed the back gate of his SUV as we drove away. He did not goes far thought before he stopped and get out to close it. Close call, cooler with the wind was right on the edge of the back of the trunk.

Get up to Ochard Beach without any delay. There wasn't many car on the parking lot, so parked as close to the boat ramp as we can. We still have to carry our kayak a good distance to the ramp. We get on the water at 11AM. Just about were I thought we would . The day was perfect for a relaxing paddle. We launch at a good time, right at high tide. We paddled out out into Long Island Sound and head North East toward some group of Islands.


Kayaks at the boat ramp.



John and Walter getting ready to Launch.


These two mating horseshoe craps was right on the side of the launch ramp. They come to that position when we arrived, and 20 minutes later when we get ready to launch they were still there. They finally find more quiet place to do they thing.


Walter and John as we start our paddle.


Get a very good view of the Brog Neck Bridge on our way into the Long Island Sound. We head away from the bridge and toward a couple of island to the east of City Island.




I believed this is at 1PM so this is after lunch .

No comments: