At the clubhouse. No one has a WiFi connection I can piggy back on. No WiFi at all for that matter. Cheapo. All the guys with expensive motor boats and not WiFi. We should get a grant from the telephone company to have free WiFi.
Anyway, what am I doing at the clubhouse on a Tuesday you ask? Well there is several reasons. The main one would be because I lock my key in my kayak container again and have to stop by pick it up when John W. is here since he have the key to my container. John also asked me if I can wait for the water deliver, which should be here between 9AM and 4PM. John finally get them to narrow the time frame down to 1PM to 1:30PM. I could have drive home after picking up the key and helping John with a couple of errands but I decided since I brought everything I need why not stay and enjoy the sea breeze, and my alternate parking last till 11AM. Also it is hot as hell in my apartment. I should thing about getting my AC install.
Also, there is much less distraction here then at home to finish a couple of things; like updating all my blogs. I am still a bit out of date with the kayak blog. I am only half way through writing about my Monday Orhard Beach trip with Tony, I assisted a Saturday paddle this prevous weekend, and I have an interesting Trip Leading Workship on Sunday. I also need to work on my job search strategies. I need to get at least 4 interviews a week for the next 4 months in order to get a job, averaging the change of getting a job 1 in 40 interviews.
Saturday Paddle is at the same time as the Blessing of The Fleet. We get 11 walk-in guests before 9AM so it is going to be a busy summer. Everyone is between 25 and 30 mostly, along with several club members. Betty is probably the oldest person on the
paddle but she is a very good paddle. One of the woman was at open house, and she brought a couple of her friends. Nice looking group.
Pete P. is leading the trip so I don’t have to do much since he take charge of everything. Stevie M. is also assisting so I just stay out of the way. We get everyone ready and launch by 10:30. The weather is perfect for a beginner paddle. We have to wait a bit as a large group of motor boats set out for the blessing of the fleet. It was impressive to follow a light of 5 big boats down the channel. We have to make way for one boat that have to return to it slip due to shortage of gas. With Peter orchastrating everyone from the back we have no problem keeping clear of the boat.
I take point and lead everyone toward the bridge. We rafted up before the bridge to assess how everyone is doing. No one lagged behind or mauranding all over the place so we have good group of stronger beginners. I lead everyone under the bridge, and along Bergen Beach. I was supprised not to see any motor boats on Jamaica Bay. Apparently they all line up on the other side of Chesea Pier. I set a slow study pace so we have the group nice and thight together. We get to the Salt Marsh in no time at all, 11:10. I two Eskimo rolls while we waited for everyone to catch up and take a rest. I was not at all confortable with neither roll. One the second one I did not do a clean roll, instead I did a sculing roll up when I was not able to get up doing a C to C roll.
We did not have to be back till 12PM so it was decided after we raft up in front of the Marsh that we should go in and have a look around. High Tide have not peak yet there is still a chance that there may no be enough water for the heaver paddlers so I scouted the way head, looking for the deepest way to get into the Marchs. Water is still flowing into the Marsh so it is not quite full up yet. We have about 1 and a half feet of water to paddle in, everyone managed to get through to the Marsh. Everyone is impress as how quiet and isolated the feel of the March is compare to the noice of the highway just on the other side. We looking around for a couple of minutes, till 11:30 then decided to start heading back.
We get to the bridge right as the Sebago continuents of the Blessing of the Fleet came back. The war canoe lead the way back, and behind it is about half a dozen kayakers. They crossed under the bridge before us so they have first dip at the dock. We rafted at the cove before the marina and waited. I did a couple of roll while we were waiting. It was getting hot in the dry suit. While were were waiting the motor boats from the Blessing of the Fleet start comeing in. After the first batch of motor boats come throught we decided that it is time to proceed back to the dock. When we get to the right side coming into the inlet, and right at the first marina, there is a confusion as to what the motor boat intention were. Several of them were caming right down the channel, but one is sitting right in the middle with the bow pointed toward were we were. I thought that the boat was going to back up into a slip on the opposite marina but it turn out they want to come into the slip in which were are blocking. We were waiting for him to back up but he was waiting for us to transit so he can dock. One of the fella on the slip told us to move so we move down the channel and clear the area so the boat can dock.
We wrapped up the paddle by noon. Everyone was very helpful with the washing of the boats and equipments and putting everything way. I enjoyed the open paddle. Great chance to meet new people.
No comments:
Post a Comment