I was determine to make it down to the club for a paddle on Sunday. My first attempt on Saturday was unsuccessful, just can't get myself out the door. I arrived at the club by 1o:40AM - plan was to get there at 9AM. Better late then never. I saw Pete's van at the side of the clubhouse, and his name on the log book but I can't find him.
Instead of wearing street clothes underneath my dry-suit, I changed into running pant, hydro under layer, and a neoprene fuzzy rubber upper. I did not wear the polyester Fleece sweater. The last time I wear it I was burning up inside.
Since I thought nobody was at the club, I used one of the dolly to drag my boat down to the dock. The dolly was not very efficients at moving my long boat. I drag the stern of the boat on the ground when I pick up the bow. When I get to the waterfront, I see sign of human activities, but no one around. I hollered Pete name, and sure enough he was on the bank, under the ramp going from the shore to our floating dock. Pete is running wire from the club house to the dock, via conduits under the ramps. The tied is low enough that there is a 15 feet drop between the shores and our dock.
The ramp to the dock is way down due to low tide. I end up going down the ramp backward, slowly lowering the boat on step at the time. When I get to the bottom of the ram, I end up with the stern hitting the dock. As I stand there trying to figure a way to get my boat the rest of the way onto the dock and not dragged my boat bow on the ramp, Pete called up from below - find a green rope. I was confuse as to what green line he meant. I went up to where he was underneath, no green line there. Pete then specified that is on the dock next to the ramp. Sure enough there is a green line come out of a conduit running underneaths ramp. Pete want me to carefully pulled the green line out (very slowly and carefully - he have been spending a good part of the morning fishing the green line up the conduit so that he can drag electrical wiring down by tying the line to the electrical wire) as he feed the wire into the conduit from the other end. This will take a bit of time. Since I need another person to left the boat from present position to get the rest of it on the dock I wasn't going anywhere anyway so there I was in full paddling gear, on my knees pulling a green wire out of a conduit. After 15 minutes, the electrical wire emerge on my end of the conduit, and we can both breath easy.
Pete wanted to go paddling, I can use the company so I waited for him finish, and get ready. Needless to say, It was 11:3o by the time we both get on the water. I brought down my two wooden paddles that I bought some years back at the Big Splash Fund riser. They are called Greenland paddles but the blade is way too wide for a proper Greenland paddles. I also brought my European paddle just in case I can used the wooden one. The only thing I noticed as I paddle out is the annoying squeaking nice as my neoprene gloves rubbed against the paddle. I keep on thinking there were a flock of geese flying above me.
I want a short, uncomplicated paddle so we headed under the bridge, and straight out to the red buoy on the Canarsie Pool southern tip. Pete offered Floyd Bennett Field and King Plaza as the alternative but I wasn't looking for anything that long. We headed from the buoy to Raffle Bar. Beside the boat Channel much of the water is no more then 2 to 4 feet deep. I end up having to switch over the the European paddle because I keep on hitting the bottom with the Greenland paddle(and the squeaking is annoying). We rounded the tip of Canarsie Pool and head for Raffle Bar. We were paddling over less then 3 feet of water till we get to the channel between the Canarsie and Raffle Pool. When we get close to Raffle Bar, I asked Pete to spot me while I try to do a skooling for support. I switch over to the Greenland paddle to do this. My first attempt was good, I try to do a second on with more extension and end up slipping out of my seat, ending up capsize. Did I mention there is only four feet of water? I try to used the paddle as a pole to get up. Since I was out of my seat, I can get enough hip motion to get back up again. I ended up having to tap my boat for a rescue from Pete.
This is the first time I get my face in cold water. I panic a bit when I find myself out of my seat and attempt to get up as soon as possible instead of staying calm. My ears were clamped shut and I can't will them to open. I try a couple of hip flip off Pete's bow. Was not smooth at all. I do need more practice in cold water.
After I have enough with trying to practice my cold water technique we headed to Raffle Bar. I have hot tea and cooks for lunch while we warmed up. We almost lost our kayaks as we stand next to them talking. The water come in as we talk and the boats floated away - about 20 feet away. Fortunately for us, the water is only 2 feet deep, and would be for a good 300 feet out so I ran out and drag them back. Pete get a picture.
We start back at 2:00 and end up back at the dock by 3:00. I was not at my best on this paddle. I was tire throughout much of the trip even though on the scale of 1 to 1o (10 being the most challenging) this trip would be a 2 and that is just for distance.
No comments:
Post a Comment