Monday, January 22, 2007

Kayaking in Place

Hitched a ride with Stevie over to a High School pool in Long Island to do a little kayak skills practice. The pool is a bit crowded so bringing a 17 feet sea kayak was discourage so I decide to used the river kayaks that the event sponsor have for rent. It is a bit expensive, 25 dollar for the pool session and 10dollar for the boat. Stevie brought along a friend of his, Danny, a musician. Danny like exactly how I imaged a Rock star to look like, ear rings and british ascent.

We get to the pool at 5 minutes to 3 PM. We pulled in the school parking lot to see a woman standing next to a trailer full of very small kayaks. I was introduced to Elizabeth, the person in charge of today pool session. We were the first 3 persons to arrived. After getting our boats (Stevie brough is Romany and Skin on Frame kayak) and equipments in and fill out the disclaimer form we changed into boating cloths. I am wearing my dry suit. I was pointed to a small red kayak, about 7 feet long. I have a difficult time getting my spray skirt to fit the kayak, end up ripping a nail on my right hand. After 5 minutes trying to force my spray skirt onto the kayak, I try one of their.

Elizabeth have to get out of the pool to try an fit it. I end up sliding into the stray skirt after we finally get it to fit. It is strange to be paddling a 6foot boat after spending so much time paddling a 17 feet kayak. Don't take much to make a complete turn in place.

I have a bit of trouble rolling a river kayak the last time I try but this time it was not hard. I have to remember not to over do the hip flip. I like this pool, a lot less chlorine then the last week pool. I stend some time just hanging upside down and have a look around. Did not learn anything new but practive alot of rolling and bracing. I seem to lost my shotgun shoulder roll. I just can find the correct motion.

At the end of the pool session I have about a gallon of water in each legs.

We eat a tie place. A bit expensive.

No comments: