Sunday, Nov 26
Arrived at the Club by 9:30AM. I was the first one there. I wanted to get there early and do some work on the club boat but realized that I don't have the key to the club workshop. Instead I get my roof rack set up for our short trip to Plum Beach for my first open water paddle. I have never actually sea kayak in my 6 years of paddling. I been on a lake, Long Island Sound (in a bay), in the Hudson River, and on Jamaica Bay but never in open ocean. The plan was to car-top my kayak to Plum Beach, meet up with some other paddlers, launch from there and head to Breezy Point to surf the waves off the underwater sandbar. The usual crews are going on this trip plus three others. Mike Miles, who I have never meet, an experiences Rockaway kayak surfer will be our guide for this trip. Lorry(Glory?) who I met before at the lake, and Bonnie's friend, whom name slipped my mind, were the other two paddlers that I don't often paddle with. Jerry, Stevie, Bonnie, Pete and myself make 8 in total on this little trip.
It take a bit of time before everyone is ready to start off when we get to Blum beach. The paddle to Breezy Point was not too difficult. A couple of 2 to 3 feet waves, nothing I have not see before, just require a bit more concentration and attention then flat water but more fun. We we get close to Breezy Point I see for the first time the waves that form off Breezing Point from the underwater sandbar. Never seen anything like it before, curtain of water 5 feet tall, a quarter of a mile wide running for about half a mile then dieing down as it clear the sandbar. I have enough problem just trying to hold my position outside the surf zone. I was terrified that I may unintentional end up inside the surf. A couple of other paddles were more adventurous and try to ride the wave. Bonnies has a blast, she probable spend the most time in the surf. Her friend capsized and had to swim his boat out of the surf zone before he can be rescue. The sound of the wave crashing onto the water was deafening.
After everyone have their fun, we head along the surf zone, and headed to the Brighton Beach. It was a tricky paddle because water is still effected by the surf from the sand bar. It seem like it take us forever to reach the beach. It was 1:30PM when we landed on Brighton Beach for lunch. I did not bring any food again, and have no money to get pizza. I ate two old energy bars, and a couple of crackers I get from Stevie.
We left the beach at 2PM. I never like launching from a beach. I always end up getting water in the boat, and getting my spray skirt on. I backed out as fast as I can to clear the wave and almost ran into Mike. I did not notice he was out there. Oop.
Pete needed to be back by 3PM for a meeting so we are on a deadline. Jerry have difficulties so Mike and the rest of the group wait for him. Stevie, Pete and I started the paddle back to Blum Beach. We hugged the shores, passing Manhattan Beach, round Kingboro College, cross the mouth of Sheepshead Bay and onto Plum beach by 3PM exactly. The rest of the groups arrived about 5 minutes after we landed.
We get the kayak pack and say good bye to our out of town visitors. I did not change out of my wet clothing till I get back to the club.
It was an exciting day of paddling, see the surfing that everyone is talking about. Maybe next summer I may actually try to ride it.
It was a short trip, about 7.4miles, but the challenging conditions make it feel like a lot more. I have to do more of these kind of trip instead of sticking to the same old same old boring trips.
No comments:
Post a Comment