Thursday, November 23, 2006

Back post - Sunday 11/19/2006

I don't like writing. I don't like talking neither. I need to practice both as conscientiously as I practice safety skills for Kayaking.

A planned workday turned into a kayaking adventure on Sunday. Jerry and I planned to have a look at all the club's boats to determine their conditions and repair needs. Email get passed back and fore, by Saturday night a sizable group of people want to do a paddle before the workday.

I get to the Club by 9:30AM. The sky was sunny and a very slight breeze. There were fifth of us going out to Gerrison Greek, Stevie, Charles, Bonnie, Elizabeth, Pete and myself, all experience paddler. Jerry have a family emergency and was not able to make the paddle. Because everyone is experienced there was not need for a formal trip leader. Everyone keep together in a tight group naturally as we conversed.

J. Bay was very quiet, not much waves or boats. We reached Marine Parkway GI Hodges Bridge by 11:45AM. We landed on the beach right before the bridge for a rest. It was nice to have a chance to land and get out of the boat to cool down. It is amazing how hot it get in my wet suit and dry-top. We headed under the bridge and toward Dead Horse Bay after 20 minutes rest. There is a slight breeze as we entered Rockaway Inlet. Just enough to cool us down, not enough to have to struggle with. Instead of going into the Marina at Dead Horse Bay, we paddled a bit pass it, and into Gerrisen Bay. I was going to go right through the middle channel, not realizing that there is a peninsular, and an island, the water take the formed of the letter CD, thinking that there are two islands. The rest of the group the channel furthest to the right so I have to hassle back to join them. We landed a the tip of the island for a break and lunch. I did not bring any food. I get some boil eggs from Steven and candle bars from Stevie to hold me over.

We paddled around the Island and down the middle channels back out toward Dead Horse Bay. I was a bit bored by that time and decided that I would see if I can paddled without stopping to Marine Parkway GI Hodges Bridges. I ended up with a sizable lead from the rest of the group when we all meet up again on the other side of the Bridge. We ended up with two group, Pete, Charles and I were the lead group, and Stevie, Bonnie and Elizabeth were in the second group as we make our way around Floyd Bennett Field to Bergen Beach. Stevie, Bonnie and Elizabeth land on Bergen Beach for a nature break. I decided to wait for them while Charles and Pete head back to the club. I waited till everyone is on the water then continue my way back to the club. I get the the dock 5 minutes before the rest of the group.

It was just a bit after four when we get back, and the sun was already setting.

And as I expected, no work was actually done.

No comments: