Sunday was our year end General meeting at my boating club. I get there a bit late for the kayak committee meeting but was not late enough to miss it altogher so was not able to avoid being peer pressure into take the position of Fleet Captain who is in charge of club boats and equipments.
Generally meeting is uneventful. Members attendant were heavy comparing to last
year. We don't even have to do a head count for forum. All old officiers get reelected, 5 open spots on the board and 5 nominees so there is no contested election. All done before the sunset.
So it time to write up a wrap on my kayaking activities.
I did not do any long distance regional kayak, except for the two early in the season. Spend lot of time at the lake upstate, hanging out with a small group of kayakers and learning new skills. I get a lot more comfortable handling my kayak by learning how for I can push the boat over and still be able to get back up right. I learned a couple of skills that I never though possible, like side skulling for support and rolling my kayaks even without my paddle!!! I was so stuck on that last summer, trying and trying to roll but always fighting myself. I have the help of two enthusiatics kayakers; Jerry and Stevie, who are happy to teach me and offer support when I fail. It was great hanging out with them (also Anne and Adele) in front of the campfire afterward and reharsh our time in the water. I think I am ready for Star 3 assessment finally.
Driving home with Stevie at 4AM in the morning is an experience in itself.
I am ready for some winter kayak know that I can eskimo roll with some confidence.
No comments:
Post a Comment