Spend a great weekend outdoor. I assisted on a Public Paddle on Saturday. End up spending much of the trip teaching one of our elderly member basis of kayaking. Rose is in her 80's, so the fact that she is paddling is amazing. She is a bit slow due to inefficience paddle stroke which cause her kayak to turned instead of going straight so we end up lagging behind the rest of the group. I radioed ahead to the trip leader tell her that Rose and I will be practicing stroke where we were instead of continuing further ahead. I went over the basic forward stroke, and sweep stroke to steer the boat in the direct she want it to go. She was getting better at at by the time the rest of the group come back. I will need to work with her on it more. Still need a bit more body rotation.
Sunday was spend up at the lake. I get up to the cabin at 15 after 9AM. No traffic at all on the way up. When I get there there were already three person on the dock getting read to go out so I change into my paddling cloth and catch up with them. I find them the old Sebago Beach practicing rescue. I paddled around, watching them and offering suggestion on how to do it better. That get boring real fast since they were doing the same thing over and over. It was a good time to practice my edging sweep as any. I was doing well till I get over confident and capsize. I try to do an Eskimo roll. Still no dice. Spend much of half and hour practicing self rescue. I am not very good with paddle float self rescue, I wend up with ton of water in my kayak.
By eleven a large groups from Sebago finally arrive. Jerry, who just get his 3 star certification is a very enthusiastic paddle and teacher. He offered to teach/coach all the skills needed for Star 3 certification. I tried to worm my way out of it by saying I want to paddle rest of the group for warm up, but then Jerry started showing me how to do supporting stroke on my back the challenge was too much to pass up. I capsized the first 3 times I try it. I just was not laying on my back enough, and using my knee to keep the boat from capsizing. So Jerry start from the beginning, just the paddle float to give support while I practice with laying on my back while keep the boat on it side. It was not as hard as I thought. I finished up with just a bit of air in my paddle float but do not have the courage to take the "training wheel" off yet. I think can do it.... My shoulder's muscle is killing me today.
No comments:
Post a Comment