Back Date: May 20 and 21, Sat/Sunday
Location: Hudson River. Laughoff Beacon Train stop, travel South to Bannerman Island, and back to Garrison Greek for lunch, then back to Beacon on Sat., Sunday Day on water at Sebago Lake or Hike. 5 miles. 10-15 knot head wind. 1 Feet Wave.
Last week was my first time in the water this season. The weather is in the 60's. There was a chance of thunderstorm in the evening on both days of the weekend. I left the apartment at 7AM to arrive at the Clubhouse by 7:20. There was noone at the club to help with my boat. But the roller and cradle for the kayak on my rack take a good 15 minutes, I can do it faster with more practice. Getting my 17feet kayak by myself on top of a 6 feet car roof was a challenge. I banged my boat a bit trying to manuever it into the rollers. I should have called up some of my friend at the club for help. No window was broken so all is well.
Two things worth mention about my trip up to the cabin. Run into my two favorite people at the Club, Steve and Adele. Steve hongged as they passed by me on the way the the Battery Tunnel. Othe other thing was I was not able to take the FDR Drive, don't know why but the turn off was block by the police. We drive up the Westside Highway instead. A bit show due to all the traffic lights but we get up the the GW Bridge. I take the exit for the GWB but Steve/Adele drive further up north. I beated Steve to the cabin by about 15 minutes.
I did not recognize any of the car in the parking lot. I knock on the door, there was not respond so I push the door open. Inside was two 13 years old girls, all wrapped up in blanket watching tv and having breakfast. CP is of of Pete 's children and the other girl is her best friend. But I signed in and as CP where her parent was. Only her mother is here. Her father and sister will be up later.
The rest of the gangs started to come in. In all there was 7 of us. We started off from the cabin to our laughoff site at 11AM. I get a passenger for the trip to Beacon name Beth. I didn't know Beth too well. We drive furth up river and get to the parking lot of the Beacon trainstop at 11:45. There were already other kayakers there before us from the Coldspring club and another group. Only one person from Coldspring will be going with us.
I was a bit shaky getting into my kayak, it would be the first time I have been in the kayak since last season. Almost forget that the boat do move away from the gangway when I get in. That could have been ambarrassing.
I was the first one in the water so I just paddle around as everyone else put their boat in. I lead us short down along the west bank of the Hudson River. There was not that much wave action. Nothing more then 1 feets. The were a bit of rain cloud in the sky but nothing too threatening. We raft up near where the land jarred out into the river bank (Denning Point State Park) to decide what to do next and get everyone a chance to rest. The wind was picking up a bit and change direction so that it is almost from East the West. This mean that we will have the wind mostly to our back on the way down to Bannerman Island, but in our face when I get back.
Tony, Chris and I get togethere while the rest of the group stay raft up and decided that it is better make a turn into Fishkill Greek, explore the waterfall, then come out for lunch before deciding if we want to go on th Bannerman Island.
The Fishkill rout have the advantage of reduce winds and no waves as all. Fishskill Greek lay on the west side of Denning Point State back, emptying into small bay form by the pennisula. I lead us into the bay (about 3 feets water) and under the railroad bridge (actual more like a 5 meet overpass) that lead to a small marsh and upstream. We can hear the waterfall roared when we were halfway there. I don't remember the waterfall being that strong the last time. To the side of the water fall stood a couple of buildings, probably old mills. I try to paddle up as closed to the water fall as I can but have to turn back 10 feet before the rapid. Chris and Zell (Young atletic fella - probably get his name wrong) try to go up to the rapid but have to turn back as the roaring water push them back. The rest of the group don't even try, they just come close enough to see the waterfall then turn back. I hang back to watch Chris and Zell try to fight the currents.
They turn back and catch up with me after 10 minutes. Chris was talking to Zell about edging the kayak. Zell actually try it and end up capside in 3 feet of water. Get out of his boat and stand up. By then the rest of the group was alread halfway back down stream so I asked everyone to hold up till Zell get back into his Kayak. The water was very cold due to the fact that the creek is feed by melting snow.
We left the Creek and the pay to search for a good beaching area for lunch. I end up leading us up the north shore of Denning Point to a good beach area. I would pack better lunch. As we seat for lunch we can see rain fall on the other bank of the Hudson River. No thunder. Wind was picking up and change to southernly. We decided that it is not wise to contiue south to Bannerman. Instead we went back up north to our launch site and then see if we want to continue pass that. It was a bit challenging going again the wind and I was tiring by the time we get back to Beacon. I really want to just land then but we decide to take a 15 minutes paddle pass the landing site. Nothing worth seeing. We turn back and get back to our landing site. Get the kayaks on the top of the car, and drive back to the cabin.
Peter and his oldest daughter D.P. were at the cabin. They did not get there till late in the day. We have our dinner in one of the cabin on top of the hill. It was a beautiful room, with a big fireplaces and trophies on the way, very lodgy. Conversation was ligh and interesting. I get a blinding headache so I can concentration much on the conversations but it was fun to be around people for a while.
End up sharing the club cabin with Pete and his family. My room mate end up sleeping in the forest somewhere. Which I could just as well done since both windows in my room were stuck open. It was good. It is so cold that my body head do not warm up my sleeping bag. That have never happen before. Let just say I was glad for day light just to get out of bed.
Sunday,
Get up just in time not be freeze to death. Stand around while everyone else get ready for breakfast. We drive to a dinner for breadfast. We take two cars, Pete and his family in theirs and I hitched a ride with Steve and Adele in theirs car. The car need a good bit of cleaning. I ordered my usual, Western Ormlette with Home friend and white toast. Pete and his family seat in one long table, I seat with Steve and Adele. After breakfast Steve, Adele and I stop by the grocery store to pick something up for lunch. I have a sandwich made, and get a bottle of Pepsi.
Get a bit of a stomachache when I get back to the carbin. I thinks it was from too much rich food last night. I hate using strange facility. The one at the camp ground have no privacy curtain so it was a bit uncomfortable.
Everyone was already in the water when I finally get ready. I used a club boat instead of my own because I don't want to untied my boat and get it off the car rake. We practive strokes and braces, nothing too radical. I don't want to go over. We end the day with a long paddled to the long end of the lake where Sebago Beach is to do more practice. Actually, I just watch Chris and Pete practive rolls. I still can't roll yet.
Get out of the water by 1PM. Get some lunch then pack everything for the drive back to NYC.
No comments:
Post a Comment