Wednesday, April 25, 2012

2012 Season Openner at Sebago Canoe Club.

To be honest, I completely forget about that last Saturday was Sebago season opener.    I only find realized it when Pat and Ginger of the Aux. Coast Guard email to remind me that they are stopping by to do safety inspection of Sebago club's kayaks.   The last time I was at the club was on January, so I have not idea of the state of the kayaks.

This year I actually guess right which one of the ladies is Ginger and which on is Pat.   I reversed my assumption.    This year Ginger and Pat get the procedure down the a science.  I just have to open the club container where the kayaks are store and show them which outdoor racks hold club's boats and they do the rest.   They filled out all the paperwork and sticks the inspection stickers on each boats without my help.  Some of the kayaks in the container were orients the wrong way so I have to have these pulled out so they can see where the old stickers were.  Luckily for me I get two tall helpers, Stevie and Dereck, who were waiting for me to compete the inspect and come out paddling with them.   I signed the paperwork for the inspections and the water by 11AM.  There was few other members the club even at that late a time.  Beside, Stevie, Dereck and myself, we have two other paddlers with us.   We decided to heard for Mill Basin and see all the expense houses on the shores.

After a long absence from any type of real paddle I was apprehensive the night before that I may not be in shape for a long paddle.  I have not done any distance paddling since November of last year.   Turn out I worry for nothing. By the time I was under the bridge and in Jamaica Bay I get into my strokes.   I was in the lead most of the trip without really thinking about it.  I forget after a long absence who much I love the motion of paddling.   

The winds which was blowing strongly in the morning calm down a bit by the time we start our paddles and was not  a facts on the paddle.   We turn around and returned to the club by 1 O'clock. 

I planned to skip the club general meeting at 4 PM but somehow end up still around when 4 O' Clock roll around so I stick around, if for nothing else but to vote Kari in as Senior member.   Great addition to our Senior membership.

The season opener is usually a bit party. This year everything some to be a bit of an afterthought (say the guy that forget all about it till the day before).   Our entire leadership, except for John Wright were away.  The normal group that usually show up did not show up this year.   We do not have Sea Kayak meeting because our chair is in South Carolina with the Commodore.   The Season Opener officially started at 10:30 in the morning but the General Meeting is at 4PM.  Everyone decided to come as close to 4 PM as possible so we don't have a large group of paddlers going out.  There were group of 2 or 3 paddles come out as we returned to the dock at 1:30 PM.  Other members did not show up till 4 PM for the general meeting.  

Editor Note:  My last draft post was the 2011 Season Opener.   That mean I have not post any to this blog in almost a year. 

No comments: