Sunday, October 18, 2009

Brooklyn Bridge

Finally get a change to do what I always wanted to do when I started long distance running.   Yesterday I ran from my house over NYC iconic Brooklyn Bridge and back onto the Brooklyn side.   I did not do any preparation when I started out late in the morning.  I did not know how far it is from my house to the bridge.  I thought it would be 7-8 miles, and that it would be simple to find the bridge.  I was wrong on both count. 

I started out later then I planned, at 11AM.  The first 3 miles were painful.  It take me a while to get into my running stride.  Once I get through my first 3 miles and get onto 4 Avenue, I feel much better and manage to ran effortlessly.   I ran up 4th Avenue for a good 7 miles, looking to my left as I get to miles 6 and 7  hoping I can see the Brooklyn Bridge.  I did not realized that up in Midtown Brooklyn, the bridge is couple of miles to my west, because 4 Avenue no long run along the shore like down in Bayridge.  I run back a couple of time thinking I had already ran pass the bridge but realize that the bridge much be further north each time when I see the shore.  I worked my way further West hoping I can see the bridge, but this meant I have to go back East to get to the entrance.   I make a couple of turn as I reach President Streets, and Pacific Street.  I know the general area but have no idea where the bridge is.  I finally meet up with the bridge but was no able to find the pedestrian entrance.  I ran a couple miles around before I finally stumble onto it.  

The approach to the bridge on the Brooklyn side s about a three quart of a miles.  I was a nice shallow grade so it was not as bad as I fear.  The pedestrians path did not get crowd till I get to the top.  I brushed a couple of tourists and ran into a couple of pictures on my way over the bridge and back.  When I get back over the bridge back to Brooklyn it was 14 miles. 

I was tempted to ran the rest of the way home but decided against it as I reach my 18 miles goal.  Properly not a good idea to push for 32 miles 2 weeks away from the big event.  Still can't wrap my mind around the fact that it almost November already.

No comments: