Sunday, August 09, 2009

Yellow Submarine

I wake up too late to help out on the Saturday paddle. Did manage to get myself together enough to be there by 11AM. I take out my peeling yellow Skin on Frame (SonF) kayak out. Meet up with the open paddle as they were coming back. I witness a sight I haven't seen in a while, Jennifer kayaking! I did believe my eye so I sneak up behind her to get a closer look. I escorted her and Walter back to the dock.

After a short conversation with Walter about his new kayak, I take off. I did not have a plan, just go out and see how I feel. I end up grossing the channel to Canasie Pol, and decided a trip around the pol would be in order. I have a relaxing paddle around the pol, and did not feel the need rush till I was back on the other side. I capsized once while trying to edge my turn. The SonF do not have much freeboard, the deck cut into the water and I was not expecting that. It had been awhile since I used this boat. This may be the longest trip I take in the boat since the ill fate 14 mile race I did two summers ago. I end up with a couple of gallons of water in my boat when I get back. The water is seeping through the canvas.

Get back by 1PM.

3 comments:

saltmarshgirl said...

HEY - No last names on your blog, if you please, thank you! It was refreshing to see you on the water in Brooklyn. Sorry to hear about your kayak becoming a submarine. What can you do now? Scuba?

MinMin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MinMin said...

Done. I always refer to you in my mind by your full names for some reason.

I was at the clubhouse all day Sunday, where were you?