Tuesday, May 12, 2009

IDW & ICE

I just went through a 6 days workshop and certification courses to be a American Canoe Association (ACA) coastal water kayaking instructo. I did not come into it with high expectation. Actually I did not planned getting myself certify to be a kayaking instructor at all. My plan all winter was to not go down that route. But a last minute cancellation by someone planning to attend the workshop, my absent mindedness in casual conversation about weekend plan, I committed myself into it without think through what is required.

I did not know that it require three days, the weekend plus Monday for the workshop, and another weekend plus Monday two weeks from the workshop to actually get certified. I sure did not know how much it would cost - the initial estimated given to me by Jerry was $200 for the workshop, and about the same for the certification, for a total of around $500. I did not know any detail of the class or the logistic involves. It turn out after the fact that we get a grant to cover all of the cost, certify instructors just have to do instruction for the club. I think I would prefer to pay the full amount, because the pressure is now on to actually start instructing.

There were 8 of us in the workshop. Stevie, Jerry, Peter, Tony, Elizabeth G., Tom, Walter, and myself. The workshop is being taught by Elizabeth O'Connar, and Gordan from a local ACA instruction outfit.

I struggled through the workshop a bit but find myself much more comfortable then I thought I would be. I did all my teaching with minimum of difficulties. Once I get to the on water teaching part I feel much more comfortable and relax. I find myself enjoying the challenge and the teaching. I get towed all the way back to the bridge on the last day (a towing excercise) - it was fun for me, not so much for Stevie and Walter who have to do the towing. It was a grueling 3 days, and it take me a now weeks of no running and no gym to recover.

The weekend after the workshop, and before the certification weekend Stevie, Peter, and I went up the the lake to work on refining our skills. Pete was already in the Camp when I arrived at 10 AM. Pete waited for Stevie to arrive so I went paddling by myself, do a couple of rolls, and work on my level 1 and Level 2 skills. I come back and dry off before Stevie arrived. Stevie and Adele were not planning on getting to the camp till 1PM. They have to stop by and help Adele's mother move. I was having lunch Stevie and Adele arrive at the camp. It was not till 2PM that Stevie and Pete was ready to get in the water. I let them go out first and join them a bit later after I finish my lunch and relax a bit.

When I did get back on the water, we meet up in front of Scotty's dock and practice rescue. The problem with practicing rescue in a lake is that it is too easy, and does not replicate condition that would cause a capsize in the first place. We should take turn teaching a basic paddling stroke because it is so much harder to slow down and break down the basic then to do the more high level stuff since that where our teaching skill will be tested but we end up doing lot of various rescues, testing different ways to get someone back on their boats etc.

Sunday was a bust as usually. I get everyone up at 7AM to go to breakfast so we can have a full day on the water but we end up wasting much of the Morning waiting. I went out by myself and do a bit of straight paddling, trying to keep my arm straight. I came back for lunch when Walter arrived at 1PM, and everyone get ready to get in the water. Don't remember what we practices but by 4PM we head back so some people can have a late lunch. The plan was to go back out again but I though that it was unlikely. I for one am done for the day. When everyone have their lunch it was decided that there will not be another session - as I expected.


We get our Instructor Certification Exam (ICE) the following week. We were email the outline of what to prepare for at the begin of the week but did not remember to print it out for the practice session. I did not write out my assign lesson plan till late on Friday night.


It was decided to have the ICE close to where the IT live rather then having them commuted to Sebago. It is a good hour away from my apartment. On Saturday and Sunday we were to meet at Timber Points, and Monday at Oak Park. I was tempted to stay at a hotel but end up deciding to commute instead.


I get lost on Saturday morning. I get there 30 minutes early but was not able to find the turn off to get to the put out place at Timber Point. The instruction I was given had the wrong street name on the driving instruction. I end up just making a guess and end up in the right place. It was foggy and cold that morning as we sit around the only picnic table discussing the coming days. I give my presentation on signaling devices and emergency equipment. I actually stick pretty close to my lesson plan. The fog lift after lunch when went out on the water for the video tape skill session. I end up being the last one to perform in front of the camera. The instruction was to paddle forward, reverse, stop, draw to the hip both side, spin the boat around till facing the camera again, sculling draw and then low brace and high brace on both side. It went by so fast that I did not realized till after I am done that I forget the sculling draw (my favorite paddling stroke) - Elizabeth O' don't seem to care that I forget that one stroke.


After the stroke video taping, we went out to more open water to do rescue, and on water lesson. Before the rescue lesson everyone that want to get certify for Level 3 and Level 4 have to demonstrate ability to do a roll, three difference rolls, including roll that is not set up. I went first. I did a storm roll, a reverse roll and for my none set up roll, I attempts a couple of high braces but did not capsized so I faked a capsized so I can do my non set up roll.


My on water lesson is to teach paddle float rescue. I had Elizabeth G. do the actually demonstration while I talk her through it. I thought the lesson went well. After each rescue lesson, everyone have to perform the rescue so we get in the water a lot. i am so glad I find a solution to my semi dry dry suite problem because I would not be able to spend that much time in the water otherwise.


I actually started to have fun as the day progress.


Saturday Evening we went to have dinner at the hotel where Tom P. is staying. Nice place for the middle of nowhere. While we wait for our dinner, each of us of to self critics our paddling on the video. Its is definitely painful to see bad habits that one just taken as normal after a long period of paddling. After dinner I end up driving Elizabeth G. back to Brooklyn. Stevie and Pete who originally also plan to drive back to Brooklyn decided to stay at the hotel. I get back home by 11PM so it was not a bad commute.


Even with picking up Elizabeth G. in the morning, I end up getting to Timber Point at 7:30AM (everyone was to meet there by 8:30AM). We drive around looking for a drug store that sell medicine for my upset stomach. We find a supermarket that open early, get my medicine, stop by for bagel and still get back before everyone arrive.

Wind was predicted to be 15 to 35 knot an hour so we know it will be an exciting day. We have a couple of on land lesson, then we get in the water. The paddle to our calm spot for the on water lesson was challenging due to the wind. The whole day was about managing a couple in adverse condition. I did my lesson on reverse sweep and 360 degree turn in place. I did not have it clear in my mind what I want to do so much of it was off the cuff. I did not lost control of the group so that a plus.


We went back to the put out spot for lunch and to take the written test. I forget all about the written test. I know right off that I bombed on the navigation part of it. I send a good 10 minutes trying to find the lighthouse on the map. Since I am coming back for the Level 3 and 4 drills on Monday I will not know how badly did till Monday. Since Sunday was also Mother Day, we get to go home early, 3PM. I drive Elizabeth G. back to Sebago Brooklyn Clubhouse to pick up her car and drop some stuff off at the club. I stop by my parents' to visit my mother and wish her Happy Mother's Day.

I get up early on Monday morning and drive over to Oak Beach, right off Jone Beach. It was wonderful drive. Stevie and Pete were already there when i drive in. The instructors had not arrive yet so we take the time to get out boats down to the beach, and all our equipment together.

The wind die down by Monday, which good and bad. I did not have a chance to see the surf but it also mean we don't have to fight it and the current all the way to the inlet. Before we get on the water, I have to retake part of the test that was missing. After everyone retake the missing parts, we went over the navigation sections. I get 2 or 3 questions rights. I know from the total score for the other section, that even if i total bombed the Navigation section I would still not fail the written.


The day on the water comprise of many surprise accidents that required actions from the whole group but especially for the trip leader assign at that particular time. It was a mess but we learn a lot by our failures. I did not lead till the return trip, and there was no "heart attack" on my watch. (I may go over each of these incident separately because it is interesting in how each of us handle the situation and the lesson lead. )


After lunch on the inside part of the peninsular we paddle out to the Atlantic side. The water at the mouth of the inlet was choppy but it could be much worse of the wind was like the previous day. There were not much surf, I did not even get to use my brand new helmet. I did manage to ride a couple of small surf but nothing major. After playing in the surf for a good hour it was time to paddle back. Elizabeth paddle alone side me before we head back and asked me how I feel about capsize and waiting for an Eskimo rescue in the choppy water of the mouth of the inlet. I indicated I am OK with it. The water was much more choppy on the way back then when we went out. I try to be at the center of the group when I capsized. It is surprising calm when you are upside down in heaving water. I count to 15 (probably to fast) wave my arms, feel nothing was about to roll when I feel something on my boat and wave my arm again hoping to catch the rescuing boat, I feel a boat on the back of my hand but was unable to hold it before it slip away. I finally have to bail out of my boat and and have a t/x rescue performed. Lost my paddle in the process - I should remember to hold on to it. I end up using someone else spare paddle once I get back into my own boat. Its a good thing that Pete manage to get almost all of the water out of my boat because even without the water I was having problem keeping from capsizing from all the wave come up from behind my boat. Pete was paddle too far to my left and i was trying to catch up with him when he capsize. I was not in position to rescue him so I just observe from a distance, notice my paddle floating away so end up fighting the wave to get my spare paddle. It was a grueling 15 minutes of paddle to get to it. Elizabeth paddle by and asked me if I need help with my spare paddle because it was haphazardly store in my front deck - and advice me to get better handle on my paddle management.


After Pete was recovered and on his way again, we paddled across to the North side of the inlet. Once we get out of the rough water of the inlet mouth, and out of boat traffic i get a chance to empty out my boat on the shore. Pete did a good job when he dumped out my boat but there is still a good gallan of water in it. After everyone get back on the water, Elizabeth to me to lead the group aroun the point into the other side so we would have some protection from the wind. I picked Stevie as my point man, and Tom as my sweep. I asked Stevie to bear wide of the rock on the point but apparently my idea of wide clearance is difference from his because he did not go as far out as i though he should before turning. Everyone get around the point without running into any of the rocks so everything was ok. On the other side, we gather up and go over the prevous rescue. The lesson is rescue on rough water is completely difference from rescue on flat water. We definitely need to find more rough water to practice in the future.



After the wrap up, Elizabeth as me to lead the group back to our put in. The wind was from the South so we were push toward the shores, everyone was trying to prevent their boat from weathercocking. I try to stay as far away from the shore as posible. Elizabeth head out into the wind and zig back into to shore and zag out again, covering more distance then the rest of us. Elizabeth come back and asked me if I see what she is doing. I say "yes, you using the wind and current to your advantages" which would be what I would be doing if i wasn't tie to the group, and try to keep everyone together. I asked Stevie to lead the group the rest of the way by zig, zaggining instead of straight alone the shore, sure enough, the group start to break up. Stevie was off on his own somewhere.

We get back to the take out site sometime after 3PM. After everyone get into dry street cloth and load their boats, each of us would get a individual evaluation. I was the first one to turn in my Instructor evaluation so I was call first. First thing elizabth asked me was what I think my strong point was. My answer was I try to make it fun. And my weakness; I rush through thing when i am nervous. Her suggestion were to slow down, and break stroke into parts so i can time myself. All if which I know I must do. I do much better when I know what I am taking about, and know the logical layout of a subject. I was supprised when she told me that she think I can be a Level 3 coach, borderliningon Level 4 if I have just a bit more teaching skills. Off the coff, I told her " I hope not, I don't know what to do with Level 4." Hell I don't even know what to do with Level 3 Instructor certification. Level 3 Instructor is a lot of responsibilities, one which I am not fully prepare for.

After I foolishly commited myself to this whole thing, my reasoning for going throught it was that I would a be helping out anyway so I might as well go through it to see the process so that I won't get in the way. I am hoping for at most a Level 2 Instructor certification, enough for assisting but not enought for all the responsibility. I might had overshot my goal.


No comments: