Monday, March 03, 2008

Other Water Activities...where I can die.

Spend a great time skiing in Killington, Vermont last weekend. The driver is a bad tempered Russian, in batter charter bus that leaks. I end up being almost the last person to get on the bus. I asked if a seat open as I walked by each row with an empty seat but they saved from someone so I am not actually the last person to get on. By the time I get to the middle of the bus, I realized that I don't want to end up standing around looking for a seat, and don't want to asked each person with an empty seat if its available, so I yelled out if anyone have an empty seat available next to them. A fella all the way at the back of the bus rise his hand. It's right next to the toilet but as they said beggar can't be chooser. My seat mate introduce himself as Doug. I might have meet Doug on last year ski trip. We don't talk much the whole trip up. Doug read the New Yorker and then nap. I hate small talk so it was fine with me.

Across from me is another matter. The girl (woman if you like) across from me and two rows up is a chatterbox and a social butterfly. She introduced herself to me as Nicole, her friend and seat mate Jennifer(who is not talkative) and then proceed to introduce everyone seating around her. I don't remembered them all now. I did not have a prolong conversation with her or with the people around me. I just don't feel like taking the effects and really did not care that I can't be bother to make an effect to talk to people which is unusual. Nicole chatter with everyone around for the rest of the trip up. I learned a lot about her just from listening, probably more then I care to know.

We arrived at our hotel at 12AM on Friday night. The trip was supposed to last just 5 hours but end being more then 8 hours. The driver take a wrong turn while looking for a place to stop for dinner. The road condition do not help. Snow started to fall late in the evening till we get to the hotel. We were greeted at the hotel door by two St. Barnard, the hotel mascots. I roomed with a guy name Jeffrey, who I may have roomed with last year on my Steamboat trip. I arrived late so I end up with the smaller bed.

I hit the bed as soon as I get out of my clothing.

Some Pic of the Lodge, unfortunately not pictures of the two gigantic dogs.




As you can see from the above picture which is taken on Saturday morning, it is still snowing when we get up in the morning.


Grab breakfast, and get on the bus to get to the mountain before it open at 9AM on Saturday. They have an efficient operation at Killington. I get my ski equipments in less then 15 minutes and is on my way up the lift by 9:30AM. I ride a couple of easy trails, and then graduated to the blue trial by lunch time. It was beautiful. The snow is nice and powdery with just enough packing to be enjoyable. I tried a couple of black diamond trails. The great thing about Killington is that there are short difficult trail that connect back to easy trail so I can try the difficult trails without fearing I would not make it all the way down.




The group plan was to meet up with the rest of the group for a after ski drink then the bus back to the hotel by 5PM. My plan was to take the last gondola up at 3:49PM (all lifts closed at 4PM) to top of the mountain, then slowly ski down the blue and green trail till 4:45PM to meet up with the bus. When I get to the top of the mountain the fog was starting to come in but no snow. I have ski in fog before so I was thinking that this would not be a problem.

Here the thing, I went on these trip to meet people my age. I am never comfortable with people my age. All the people I trusted, and feel comfortable being with are at least in their fifty's. I was especially put off and aloft this entire trip even thought I try to get myself into the mentality to meet people. I did get introduce to a couple of my neighbor on th bus, and i already meet a couple of them on last year ski trips. Courtney is on this trip. I was surprise to see her. I try to say hi to her on the bus but she did not hear me and I did not put the extra effect into getting her attention.

Anyway back to why my plan to avoid happy hours almost cost me my life or maybe at least a couple toes. When I get up the the top of the mountain, the weather turn for the worst. Dense fog cover the mountain, and it start to snow. I started down a trail that I have been skiing all day. In less then 15 minutes, I find myself in complete white out condition, with visibility less then 10 feet. I ski down till I meet a turn off, one continuing on the green trail and a turn off for a blue trail that I have been meaning to try. I stopped off the read the signs, and consult the trail make. A slope personal wave to me and asked if I need direction. I told her that I am fine, and proceed to consider if I should take on last blue trail which look like it would meet up with the same green trail that I was on a bit further down hill. I decided to make me way down the blue trail, wave good bye to the ski patrol person. She waved for me to wait as she ski toward me. I told her I wanted to ski down the blue trail and meet up with the green trail again. I was informed that is not the case. Even thought it look like it on the map, there is no cross over between the two trails.

By the time I get half way down the trail to the lodge, it started to snow heavily, and the wind was gusting. I was fine till I get to a weird grouping of signs. One arrow for my the trail I was on, and two arrows for two other black diamond trails. I can't figure if the green trail that I wanted to be on continue further down, or around a now closed chair lift. I guessed from the sign it could be a bit further down from where the sign is then it would split off from the two black diamond trails. I guessed wrong. By the time I realized there is no green trail I was too far down to climb back up, and visibility was practically zero.

Now I have try this particular black diamond in the morning. It is difficult but not impossible. In the blinding snow it was impossible. I ran ski end first into a mogul and end up on my face. Luckily the ski did not come off so I pick myself up and continue, and ran into another mogul. This time I did lost one of the ski and slid down 10 feet. The ski that come off stay stuck on the side of the mogal so I drag myself up a couple of foots to retrieve it. It was on my 5th attempt to get my ski back on, and trying not to slide down the mountain that a ski patrol come out of the fog uphill and asked me if I need help. Which was a good thing because I was seriously considering how cold the weather get when the sun come down and how I was to summon help if worse come to worse. I break one golden rule of skiing, like kayaking, never ski alone.

I told him that I take a wrong turn from a green trail into a black diamond and that I did ski this before when visibility was better. I get help getting the ski on, then asked if I should proceed down the trail. I was told that the turn off to the easy trail is just a bit further down. I proceed down to the connection back to the green trail without incident.

It was slow going due to the flatness of the trail, and the almost complete lack of visibility. I did get come to one intersections and stopped to consider my option when a pack of 5 ski patrols and other slope personals ski by, and was directed down the right trail by one of them. I following them down to K1 Lodge, is one ski lift up from the base lodge where the bus is picking us up. It was 4:45PM when I get to K1, get into the lodge to see if anyone from our group is in there. I thought that Christie, our glorious leader saying something about meeting at K1 for a drink before meeting the bus at 5PM. I did not find anyone that look remotely familiar so I went back outside and ski back down to the base lodge. I have spend the last two day ski between the top of the mountain, and the middle where K1 is. I have no idea how to ski down from K1 to the base lodge. It was 4:55PM and considering how grudgy our bus driver is, the bus probably leave at exactly 5PM so I know that I will miss our bus, but it not a problem because there is a free town bus that stop at Summit Inn where we are staying.

The problem is getting down their to catch any bus. I realized as I walk down the slope with my skis in my hands that I could have just wait outside at K1 and catch the bus down to the base lodge, store my ski for the night, and pick up my shoes. Instead I walked down with a couple of people who I find out is also from Zogsports. The trail is a beginner trail called Idle Trail. It shouldn't really be call a beginner skii trail because it is more suit to snowshoeing then skiing. After 30 minutes of walking, cross country skiing and a little bit of down hill skiing at the end, I get to the base lodge. I get to the ski storage area right before the guy lock up. There was no one at the free basket storage where I left my shoe, so I called to a worker saying good night to his co worker to get my shoe. He don't even work in that area.

I end up riding the bus on the step well back to the Inn, and walked up the hill to the entrance. Christie was leaving the lodge as I was getting out of my ski boots asking if I am going out for a drink.

No likely, I just want a sauna, jacuzzi and a nap before dinner was my reply.

One of the reason why I was in no rush after I missed our bus is that I have nothing plan with anybody after skiing. The group have two things going after skiing, both involve drinking. They are going out for a drink right after getting back from the slope at a local bar with life music, then a event at 9AM at another bar that have life music from someone worth pre-paying 20 dollars to get VIP door ticket. I did not opt to pay the 20 dollars so I have nothing except for a sauna and dinner to look forward to.

My first priority is to get out of my skiing cloth, and into my bathing trunk. I did not know where the jacuzzi/sauna/outdoor pool but I am determined to find out. I end up follow the smell of chlorine right to the jacuzzi. It was full with people from Zogsports. I manage to squeeze myself in. It was heavenly after a full day of skiing. I stay there for 5 minutes, asked the girl next to me where the bus was this afternoon, and told everyone my misadventure. Decide to change it up a bit, so I get out and went looking for the outdoor pool. I find it but wasn't ready to get back out into the cold.

The sauna is next on my list. I find a sign that say LADY ROOM SAUNA, which is perplexing. It a LADY ROOM/SAUNA or is a SAUNA just for Lady? I spend a couple of minutes in front of that sign considering it. Before I end up in the lady room I should look for the MAN FROM SAUNA. They is not a sign around for the MAN ROOM SAUNA. I was checking all the doors when one door, with no sigh or anything open up and I see a guy I know from the bus come out. Turn out it was the MAN ROOM SAUNA. Send a good 30minutes trying to get a good sweat from the sauna. I was ready to try to outdoor pool when I get out of the sauna. The water was nice compare to the outdoor air. I don't want to get out of the water. I stay their for at least 10minutes wading in the pool as the snow come down.

When I get back to the jacuzzi everyone had left. There were about 4 people there. Two from our group, and two other guests of the hotel. I end up spending a bit of time talking about running, then we all decided we have enough. I went back to my room to take a shower and get dress for dinner.

I did not notice that this trip, unlike the last trip dinner was included but not on this trip. Its everyone for himself/herself when it come to finding dinner. I opted for having dinner at the inn, which it turn out was in the hotel bar. There were a couple of table with Zogsports people, but I did not feel comfortable asking if I can join them. I end up standing around like a idiot waiting for the waitress/bar maid to seat me. After 5 minutes I was afraid that no one notice me standing there waiting to be seated. The sign in front say wait to be seated so I wait.

A waitress finally finished serving everyone and come by to seat me. I indicated I want to be seat away from the crowd but the waitress insist on a table where everyone is. I end up being seat in front of the big screen tv. I ordered a coke, and then wait for the waitress to return for my dinner order. When I finally get my order in, the wait for the food take forever. I think the waitress is being worn down just climbing up and down to stair to the kitchen which is quite a few distance from the bar. I was also wondering if they really do take 12 hours to cooked my Yankee roast, and I would have to wait the full 12 hours for my dinner. The waitress stopped by to apologies a couple of time and offer me a refill on the coke. I have all night so there is really no rush.

I finally get my dinner, interest roast with mash potato, and greens. I love the mash potato with skins and all. I can used some more vegetable thought. The vegetable is some kind of Gallard Green. I was half way through my meal when Nicole and her friend stop by and asked if they can join me for a moment while their waitress went and get their check. We have a bit of small talk about her job, which is the same job that I had for the last 6 years. I did not told her that I am presently unemployed. I try to get her friend into the conversation but the girl is just not talkative. She is the better looking of the two thought. Jennifer order tea so they stay till Jennifer finished then left to get ready for their night out. I finished my dinner and wait for the waitress to notice that I am ready for the check. I ordered another coke and the check when the waitress come by.

An old man, with a drink in his hand start powering up the electronic keyboard in front of me, so I know the life music part of the evening is coming up and audience participation is probably part of the act. I indicated that the check is ready for pickup and wait for a waitress to pick it up. The total come to $16.45 not including 3 drinks which are free. I sat through a couple of the guy's song, and they are really funny. I may enjoy seat through it for the night except for the possibility of the audience participation. I end up leaving my 20 dollar in the check minifolder and went the sitting area just off the bar/dinning room area with the massive fireplace. I can still hear the music but is not part of the audience. The local real estate magazine and the local magazines is interesting, but too organic for me. I am not much into organic farming and horse raising.

I retired to my room by 10PM, and watch the local scifi show on cable bill 11:30PM when my roommate come in. I told him that I was disappointed in him, I expected him to stay out till at least 2AM. Turned out he didn't drink. I definitely roomed with him before I just don't remember on which ski trip last year. We end up watching Saturday night live for a bit then call it a night. He remind me to turn my watch alarm for 6:30AM off because if I was his brother he would have kill me saturday morning when it walk him up at 6:30AM. I make sure that all my alarmed are turn off, and double check it to make sure. I went to brush me tooth and returned to find him passed out like a light with his street cloth on. Turned off the TV and goes to sleep.

Get up at 7:30 and went for breakfast on Sunday. End up seating at a table with one of the girl I meet on the bus. We were joined by another guy. The breakfast is included in the lodge package except for tips. I order my usual breakfast, Western omelet with sausage instead of ham. It was a good and full breakfast. My roommate come down at 8AM and seat with us but since we already order he join another table of zoggers that just get seated. Went back to my room to get ready for another day of skiing. Board the 9AM bus ride up to the mountain.

I was a bite less adventurous on Sunday then Saturday. I joined everyone, on time and at the right place for once, for lunch but did not join in on the conversation. I skied all day by myself on the upper mountain till 2PM, and get back down to the beginner slope right on top of the base lodge where we were to meet our bus for the trip home at 4PM. I skied the beginner slopes 4 time before I decided I have enough. I went looking for the bus since I left my shoe in the bus this time. There is about 5 charter buses sitting a the bus parking area. I really can't remember what my bus look like. I walk the 500 feets of slushy parking area to the buses hoping that I would recognize someone or the bus. The first couple of buses can't be it, the bus drivers are all very helpful and cheery. I came to a bus that I am sure is the right one due to the curtains on the windows. I knocked on the door to the bus, the bus driver opened up and I asked if this bus is the Zogsports bus. He told me no. I was sure that it is the right bus, I repeat it again, but he still say no. I returned to the lodge, and wait to see if anyone I recognize is also looking for the Zogsport's bus.

I finally returned to the same bus where people are starting to pack. I looked inside for my backpack, and sure enough it was the right bus. The bastard lied to me, and make me wait for 30minutes looking for another bus. I get my shoe, return where I left my ski and take all my equipment to the return area. I change out of my ski pant also since I am wearing my jean under it.

I get back to the bus, and wait for everyone to show up. I try to make it look like I am saving a seat for someone so that I would have a free seat for my stuff. Work till right before the bus left. Some big tall guy who like to seat with his legs wide open as if the seat is free. I should have lie and say that the seat was taken.

The ride home is eerily quiet. There is no happy hours on the bus this time. Everyone was too tire and was sleeping till we get to the rest stop for dinner. When we come into the rest stop 4 other charter bus, probably also coming from Killington pulled in. I rushed ahead before all the people invade the rest stop. I get Roy Roger chicken and find a table in 5 minutes.

We piled back into the bus in less then 30 minutes and continue our trip home.

I arrived at the same area in Manhattan that we left on Friday at 10PM. I get my backpacked and left without sticking around to say good by. I should really working on my farewell so that I don't look like such a jackass.

No comments: