Tuesday, September 25, 2007

LI Cnav2007_Day 1

An overview of our 3 days, 70 odd miles trips in our first years leg circumnavigation of Long Island.



LI Cnav2007_Day 1
Originally uploaded by Spigquax

8 of us launched from Sebago Canoe Club in brooklyn at about 6AM on friday for the first part of our around Long Island Trip. I was the last on to sign up for this trip - 3 days before the trip. I was afraid I was not able to handle the ocean condition.

Luckily for me the ocean was flat. I have never see the ocean that flat. The only wave action I get was the surf land for lunch. We land on the beach on the Atlantic side of the Rockaway. I ride the wave in and lean into the wave as it break for a picture perfect landing. Since I was the first on to land, there is no one on land to take a picture but if there is it would be picture perfect. Launchig after lunch was a bit more difficult. It take a couple of fail attempted before i was able to get my boat position and launched instead of a wave come in and pushed my boat into beach again.

We paddled back into protect water and make a short landing at the tip of a Peninsula. The water there was crystal clear. We landed on a private summer resort that rent out/or sell shares in cabina. We saw rows and rows of them. But the cabanas all face into each other and not into our side of the shores. I can't imaged what the family who owned or rent these cabana would do there durring the summer.

We continued to our pickup point for the day two bridges down at a restaurant called Paddy McGee. This is our most difficult and dangerous landing of the whole trip. We have land the boat against rock and concrete debre. We all managed to land and get our boats onto the trailer without any mishap. Two of the paddler went with John and the trailer with our kayaks to the hotel where we are staying for the night, the rest of us waited for pickup by our other support car. We waited for at least 2 hours before our ride get there. I take the time to explore the area, and the rest of the group grabbed a couple of drinks from Paddy McGee's bar.

We get two rooms at the Best Western 5 miles away. Each room have two full beds, and there are 8 paddle, 3 supports crew for a total of 11 people. We manage 6 people in one room and 5 people in the other. With some people on the floor and 2 person to a bed. We were to tire to be bother by the sleeping arrangement. I was fast aleep as soon as I hitted the bed.

But before bed, we head to dinner at a local Italian restaurant one of the paddler know. It was a feastive dinner. The foods are good, better companies.




Our landing site at the end of Day 1 behind Paddy McGee.


End of day one. The drive from our landing site to Best Western Inn where we are staying for the night.

No comments: