I went kayaking today. I seriously thought that there was a change I won't make it back home alive. It was wild. Winds and waves pick up as we paddle back home. I paddles with every once of my strenght but still unable to make any headway.
We launched from the clubhouse at 10AM, there were six of us, all experienced kayakers. There were Peter, Steve, Stevie, Chris, Tony, and myself. I get on a farmer John wetsuit, with cyling undershirt, and fleeces underneight a dry top. I also wear my watershoe. It was hot underneight all the clothing.
We went out to Raffle Bar, make a short landing to stretch, then decide to the north of the marsh and hook around to visit the Rockaway 9/11 Memorial. It was a bit dixy even then. We ran into weird wave and high wind as we approach the sea wall. I was so glad when we finally get there. The Memorial have brick pathway, flowers garden and several convenience stores near by. I did not brough any food with me. Big mistake. I get dry fruit and M&M from Chris. Jen and Maury stop by. They see me walk to the near by gas station garbage can. They do not know we would be there. Jen and Maury were in the area looking a a sofa. It was a big coincidences.
We started home at about 2PM. We kayaked along the Rockaway Seawall, hiding from the wind and wave. But the way only take us so far, we proceed west, bringing us into the wind and wave. It was changing just to keep the boat pointing in the right direction. I was tire the first 30 minutes into the return journey. We managed to get to the southern side of raffle bar, we land there again to rest and take bathroom break. The tides were coming in, so our boat keep on floating away from the beach. After much discussion we decide instead of going to the far end of Canarsie Pol western tip we decide to cut to the closer eastern tip, hoping to get away from the wind and waves as we went on the lee side. It was rough trying to get to Canarsie Pol.
Tony capsided. I was near by but was unable to fight the wave and wind to get to him. Chris and Steve get him back in his boat. We did proceed to the eastern top and around. Steve was way ahead of the whole back. I was very frustrated that I am not able to close the gap between myself and the leader, Steve. Steve seem to just power on as I fight with all my strenght to control my boat.
I was very angry that Steve is setting of by himself with out consider condition of the rest of us. On the last leg to the Paeraget Bridge, I was haveing alot of difficulties seeing because the sun was setting in my face, so all I can see was the shadow of Chris and Steve pulling away then disappear while I am still in the motor boat channel. I don't know what I would have done if there was a motorboat that I have to deal with. I start to developed stomach gramp as I try all I can to fight the winds. I thought serously that I may have to beach and rest before proceed the last couple hundred of feet to the club's dock. We get back to dock by 4:30 PM.
I just soak in a hot bath to make to pain go away. Every muscle aches. It was challenging. I was not expecting it to be that hard and frankly was a bit out of shape for that kind of trip. I don't know if I would do it again, espectually in the cold water
14 miles
6 hours
15-20 winds
2-3 foot wave
No comments:
Post a Comment